4 best methods for choosing Wi-Fi video surveillance cameras in 2021
In the period from 2021 to 2026, experts expect the massive emergence of new types of wireless communications in many areas of human activity: robotics, autonomous transport, medicine. Naturally, existing wireless solutions are being improved and adapted to the needs of new generation developments. Video surveillance is no exception. A wireless Wi-Fi camera is not new anymore, but there are many options for improving it. Read on.
Main principle of a Wi-Fi camera
A Wi-Fi camera works without wires or ordinary cable lines. This is its main advantage and fundamental principle of operation.
Disadvantages and advantages
The main disadvantages of existing Wi-Fi cameras:
- likely lack of bandwidth: the more equipment, the lower the bandwidth;
- instability of the Internet connection. You need a strong internet signal to run smoothly. In addition, a different force field (office equipment, microwave equipment, and household appliances) can affect the quality of the camera;
- in some cases, unstable communication can be regarded by the camera as a false alarm, and disabling this option may lead to deliberate damage of the camera;
- need to install a repeater antenna (to increase the range of wireless equipment);
- likelihood of cyberattacks. In order to avoid unauthorized interference, encryption and filtering of MAC addresses are required.
EXPERT OPINION: existing shortcomings can become points of growth, and as a result of their elimination, wireless solutions for video surveillance will develop.
- wide range of prices for cameras;
- saving money on the purchase and installation of cable networks;
- saving money on the purchase of additional equipment, for example, for data storage (if a Wi-Fi IP camera is used);
- ease of installation;
- system mobility;
- remote access;
- shared access capabilities;
- easy integration with the cloud, other security equipment, video surveillance and video analytics.
What are the applications?
The most popular applications are:
- entrances to apartment buildings. To know everything on this topic, read the article “Video surveillance in entrance hall. 5 main installation rules“;
- small retail stores;
- isolated shopping islets in large shopping centers;
- workplaces in offices;
- yard area, gates, garage for private houses.
Selection criteria and TOP-4 best methods of 2021
Experts in the field of video surveillance and wireless technologies note the importance of considering the goals of video surveillance when choosing Wi-Fi cameras. In other words, the equipment rating depends on where the video equipment will be installed (in a home or business, indoor or outdoor surveillance).
However, this is not the only factor in evaluating Wi-Fi cameras. As a rule, users choose a video surveillance system based on a set of criteria that are important to them.
Brand, quality, price
With this method of choosing cameras, the price is in last place. The consumer prefers the oldest, largest brands and renowned manufacturers, which are famous for their high quality.
We can talk about the Australian manufacturing company SWANN, the Axis group of companies headquartered in Sweden, the giant Samsung, the Japanese Panasonic, etc.
Lowest price with the largest set of options
Ranking of the best wireless cameras depends on the requirements: each case needs its own functionality.
At the same time, the variety of options in one camera unit is an attractive factor for a number of buyers. Many users want to get the most features at the lowest price.
For example, many Russian users prefer to purchase D-Link DCS-6010L, ESCAM QF001 and Xiaomi Ants XiaoYi.
In addition to basic options, these cameras have a number of special technical and design capabilities. For example, we are talking about the presence of a bright IR illumination, anti-vandal case, audio feedback, motion detection function, etc.
Ease of editing with high quality video
Another technique for choosing equipment for video surveillance is a combination of easy (simple, independent) installation and high image quality.
Take the TP-Link NC250 camera from the largest Chinese manufacturer as an example. The camera connects in minutes and transmits high-quality video. And two-way voice communication expands the scope of use.
Based on research reports from eMarketer and Bright Local, more than 60% of online shoppers completely abandon a purchase if they read negative reviews about a product, seller, or manufacturer. At the same time, 74% of consumer respondents reported that they trust goods/sellers and manufacturers that have positive reviews on the Internet.
The sphere of influence of reviews is constantly expanding. That is why the method of choosing Wi-Fi cameras according to reviews is working.
Instead of a conclusion
Today we reviewed the TOP 4 best methods for choosing wireless cameras with a Wi-Fi module. Our editorial staff deliberately did not make a rating of the best cameras in this direction, in view of the variety of their intended use. For ease of selection, we have systematized the main selection criteria and comprehensive assessment methods. We hope they help you.