How to buy the best dome camera at a budget price? 4 secrets from a pro
The key factor shaping the market of dome cameras in Russia is the growing demand for security measures in public places and in the corporate sector. Also in 2020, a dome camera has also attracted the interest of home video surveillance consumers. First of all, this product is attracted by its compactness, invisibility, wide coverage of the surveillance scene and the model range. Let’s find out how to buy the best camera at a budget price.
What is a dome camera?
The term “dome video camera” refers to a video surveillance camera located in a dome-shaped body, which is installed on horizontal surfaces (mainly on the ceiling, walls).
Dome IP video cameras transmit images in high quality, and the presence of IR illumination allows you to shoot video even at night or in a dark room. Such cameras can be easily integrated with various security systems and intelligent software such as Faceter.
Dome cameras are distinguished by their shape and design.
As a rule, the device consists of three obligatory elements: the video camera itself, electronic control circuit and body in the form of a hemisphere. Conventional cameras use polycarbonate to protect the lens, and the anti-vandal use tempered glass. Detailed information on cameras with enhanced body protection can be found in the article “Anti-vandal cameras. 10 main selection criteria”.
Depending on the manufacturer’s modification, a dome camera can be equipped with:
- IR illumination for high quality image in the dark;
- motion sensors to record the movement of objects in the surveillance area (people, animals);
- swivel mechanism for 360-degree viewing.
3 kinds of rotation mechanism
Taking into account the type of mechanism responsible for turning the camera, the image quality may change (due to focusing/defocusing).
Today, three types of rotary mechanisms can be found in dome cameras:
- Obsolete toothed.
- Belt, as the most common. Here, the durability of the mechanism depends on the quality of the belt.
- Direct drive method, which is the most progressive due to its compactness and strength.
IMPORTANT: Ample rotating capabilities create fewer dead spots, and technology for smooth lens movement maintains high image quality.
Classification of video cameras
Dome cameras are classified according to many factors, including:
- Principle of signal coding and camera control method:
- analog (transmission of information in the PAL/NTSC television standard);
- network (IP), sequential, high-resolution and Internet technologies.
- Place of use:
- outdoor dome video camera, which has the necessary level of protection against high/low ambient temperatures, temperature extremes, fogging and moisture, dust inside the device or mechanical stress;
- indoor dome video camera, which is intended for indoor use only.
- Material of which the camera body is made:
- steel (stainless). Such cases are used for the production of anti-vandal, shockproof models.
- aluminum. The main advantages are strength combined with lightness, no corrosion, protection from electric field interference.
- polymers (plastic). Such material significantly reduces the cost of the device, and also allows it to be installed on the territory of industries with a high salt content. Learn all about video surveillance at factories from the article: “Video surveillance as a part of the safety system at manufacturing facilities“.
- high-speed (dome/PTZ cameras). An innovation is the speed of up to 400 degrees/second. The price of such cameras is high;
- rotation in 2 axis, with a speed of up to 120 degrees/second. They are used for large surveillance areas;
- stationary. They are inexpensive in price, since they do not have a turning function, but they are successfully used in narrow surveillance areas.
- monochrome (black and white image);
- color matrix and/or switching day/night, black and white/color image functions;
- infrared illumination (up to 30 meters distance), mainly used for indoor surveillance.
- sound recording or lack of it.
- Type of camera lens:
- with a fixed focal length, which does not allow you to enlarge or zoom in on the image;
- with a varifocal lens (variable focal length) to bring the picture closer.
How to choose a camera? 4 tips from a pro
So, I want to share some secrets and tips for choosing dome cameras:
- Decide on the objectives of surveillance. What do you need a camera for?
- protection of a house/apartment or business facility;
- yard video monitoring;
- control of pet behavior;
- safety of inventory items in a warehouse, during the work of hired personnel at home, in a store, restaurant;
- supervision of children or elderly relatives;
- creating an effect of being in the office, at the construction site.
- counting visitors;
- Based on the goals, decide on the locations of the cameras and their number.
Which camera do you need: outdoor, vandal-proof, indoor? The detailed classification described above will help you.
If you need a lot of cameras, pay attention to PTZ models: 1 PTZ dome camera can replace up to 20 units of conventional fixed cameras.
- Want to save money? Don’t chase cheap cameras from famous Chinese sites.
Why? There are a lot of reasons:
- noname brands that are not capable of integration and updating;
- lack of warranty and technical support;
- high probability of receiving a product that does not match the description;
- outright fakes;
- risks associated with damage to the camera during transportation.
The best solution would be to buy those imported dome cameras, which official representative office is located in Russia.
- Choose a simple but multifunctional software.
We recommend using Faceter. Read the article “Analysis of the Faceter smart surveillance system: in simple words about complex matters“.
A dome camera is a modern solution to many security and business control tasks. They are compact, relatively invisible, have broad functionality, and are capable of integration. Combined with innovative software, dome cameras become indispensable companions in business and at home.