Panoramic cameras. 6 advantages and 4 disadvantages.
Panoramic cameras. Advantages and disadvantages
The main purpose of panoramic cameras is obtaining a full view of the territory (360 degrees), without blind spots in high image quality. It is this functionality of panoramic cameras that drives high consumer demand. In this article, you will learn the full information about 360 cameras: applications, advantages and disadvantages, accessibility. Read on.
Forecast of the panoramic camera market until 2022
Back in 2016, video surveillance market experts such as Strategy Analytics and Market Research Future predicted a global increase in consumer demand for panoramic cameras. It was about the period until 2022, with an average annual rate of 31%. Thus, panoramic cameras, as a market segment, should reach $36 billion by the end of the forecast period.
If we divide the panoramic equipment market into segments, then the following picture can be seen by the end of 2020:
- demand for amateur cameras has grown 16 times;
- demand for semi-professional equipment has grown 51 times;
- demand for professional cameras has grown 15 times.
Market growth drivers
Driving growth factors for the global panoramic camera market:
- increased demand for security and order maintenance measures in public places;
- addressing security issues in the corporate sector;
- collection of marketing information for solving business problems.
The key factors holding back the panoramic camera market are:
- high pricing policy compared to the cost of standard IP cameras;
- availability of limited software support services;
- insufficient image quality.
Geographic market segmentation
The main buyers for 360 cameras through 2022 will be the North American region and Europe, particularly Germany and the UK, due to growing government initiatives to ensure public safety. Also, consumer demand is growing in Asia, especially in Japan.
Due to the fact that a panoramic video surveillance camera gives the seamless filming effect of a wide surveillance area, they are used in such facilities as:
- large shopping areas (hypermarkets, shopping and entertainment centers, office buildings, warehouses) and adjacent territories (parking lots, entry/exit areas, cargo receiving/sending areas);
- railway stations, airports, places of cultural events;
- factories with production workshops where there are hazardous working conditions or robots;
- hotels, gas stations, shops, restaurants;
- police stations, correctional facilities, areas with a high degree of crime;
- any places where there is a need for a large number of video cameras that can be replaced with one panoramic video camera.
A panoramic ip camera has a number of undeniable advantages:
- Profitability. One panoramic camera successfully replaces 10-20 conventional cameras, which significantly reduces the cost of purchasing and installing a video monitoring system.
- Absence of blind spots and the effect of “seamless” video filming, which is extremely important in monitoring large areas, numerous crowds of people and wide surveillance areas.
- Multifunctionality. A 360° panoramic camera can be equipped with a wide range of functions, including highly intelligent video analytics. When choosing equipment, check the technical capabilities of the model.
- Possibilities of integration with other hardware and software (depending on the manufacturer).
- Capabilities of cloud storage (depends on the model).
- Aesthetic appearance, low visibility.
Experts point out the following disadvantages of panoramic cameras:
- High cost compared to conventional network CCTV cameras.
- Need for a wide communication channel.
- Low adaptability to work at night.
- Ineffective work in rooms with a large number of partitions and/or doors, as well as in rooms with low ceilings.
Collection of marketing data using panoramic cameras
Panoramic cameras are in high demand among business representatives due to the technical capabilities of collecting marketing data: maintaining lists, face recognition, visitor counting and work control. A lot of useful information on these topics can be found in our blog at https://faceter.cam/en/blog.
Panoramic cameras are ideal for those facilities where it is necessary to create surveillance for large areas, flows of people or with a high level of responsibility. When choosing equipment, one must proceed from the goals of video surveillance and technical capabilities of the equipment. Keep in mind that one panoramic camera can easily replace 10-20 conventional video cameras.