Remote viewing of video cameras. 5 steps to set up + 1 extra step
Do you have a video surveillance system installed, but are you constantly worried about being away from the facility? To avoid alarms and be constantly up to date, you need a modern solution – remote viewing of video cameras. This is all the more relevant now that the Internet and digitalization have reached unprecedented heights. Read our article about how to perform remote viewing and how to set it up.
Remote viewing of video cameras. Benefits
Based on the definition, the benefits and advantages of the technology are obvious:
- Possessing situational awareness at the facility.
- The assurance of answers to questions, disputes, conflicts, and assistance in investigating incidents.
- The ability to monitor a business or home regardless of location, from anywhere in the world.
- Providing the effect of personal presence.
- Saving time and other resources.
It can also be said that a competent remote viewing setup is a tool to increase customer loyalty and optimize the business as a whole.
Setting up remote viewing
There are 4 types of devices that can be used to set up remote viewing:
- Through a single IP network camera. The connection requires a dedicated IP address as well as a connection to the provider’s network cable.
- Through a router/router. By creating your own subnet, you can connect 2 or more cameras. Remote viewing is available through the address bar of the browser as “http://” permanent IP address.
- By means of a video recorder. This method allows you to connect digital and analog cameras. Read more about how to connect these devices in 7 steps. And if you want to know how to correctly switch from analog to digital in the video monitoring system, read the article about the top 6 mistakes.
- Using cloud services. You don’t need a dedicated address, but you need a stable Internet connection. With this method, there is no such problem as “remote video recording”.
5 setup steps
Let’s talk in detail about what it takes to set up a remote video recorder:
- Connecting the device.
It’s important to make sure the recorder meets the requirements of modern Internet access in order to view video remotely. Connect the device to your router via the LAN port (it is on the back panel).
2. Turn on the “remote viewing” option.
You will need a dynamic IP address. To do this, you need to log in to the recorder with a username and password. These, in turn, can be configured by the owner of the system or provided by the manufacturer. Then use the DHCP protocol to get a dynamic IP address from the router and be able to connect remotely.
3. Select the option to view through the DVR.
Based on simplicity and productivity for the operator, it is best to choose a combination of methods that support the ability to view IP cameras remotely. The list of options may vary by manufacturer and model.
4. Install the software on the viewer.
Use special software for your laptop, computer or mobile device. The principle of operation, as a rule, will be similar. But there may be differences in the set of options and features of the user interface.
CONNECTING TO SMARTPHONE FEATURES: Pay attention to the port forwarding rules to connect your devices. After installing the app on your iPhone or Android, you will need to enable the P2P network on the DVR. You may need to scan the QR code to connect the devices.
Plus 1 Additional method
If there is no access to your own PC or smartphone with the installed program, you can use the web services of popular search engines. For example, you can use the capabilities of Google Chrome, accessing the application through it.
IMPORTANT: do not forget to pay proper attention to the connecting elements, in particular the wires.
Cloud technology and Faceter
Want to avoid fiddling with routers, searching for dynamic IP, and not touching the subject of installing a complex video system?
You can exclude additional expenses on DVR purchase and its repair, as well as the purchase of cameras. Yes, you can avoid buying expensive hardware if you have a couple of smartphones and opt for cloud services.
We recommend FACETER.
Modern technology makes it possible to:
- monitor the situation with older phones with minimal technical requirements;
- view video archives in recordings and online;
- connect smart analytical options (face recognition, list keeping, visitor counting, etc.);
- receive instant notifications from the facility.
It’s noteworthy that the Faceter tariff plan starts at zero rubles, and the maximum “Premium” tariff is 299 rubles/month.
Visit the site and get acquainted with all the features of the service.
There is no doubt that remote viewing of video monitoring data is not a tribute to fashion, but an objective necessity. In the age of digitalization, you should not have to physically go to the site to watch the recordings. Use modern technical solutions, such as Faceter, to control the situation.