Video surveillance is increasingly becoming part of our lives and is becoming commonplace for private property. The system of remote video surveillance with their own hands? Are you serious? It’s quite doable for a small object (a stand, an outdoor concession stand or home surveillance in an apartment, a cottage, or a garage). How to make the right choice of equipment? What to pay attention to during installation? Read about this in the article.
How to choose equipment? 5 questions
The first and most difficult stage in the organization of remote video surveillance is the right choice of equipment. The assortment is wide, the price is different. How to rationally keep a balance between price and technical characteristics?
Make a short personal questionnaire with basic questions. Answer them and feel free to go to the store with the answers. This way you will save time in the store and will help the manager-consultant to find the best variant for your needs.
- Firstly, decide WHY you need a video surveillance system with remote access? This will be the basis for further answers.
- Secondly, what are the parameters of the object of observation? Decide on the following features: what area, the temperature range, how many cameras you need, if there is a risk for the cameras to be vandalized, whether you need around-the-clock surveillance or not, and what the lightning conditions of the object are. Another important question is where will the cameras be located?
- Do you want to view the video remotely? If so, an IP camera is needed. If gadgets will be used for remote viewing, check if they support a mobile app for surveillance.
- Will the equipment be wired or wireless? There are cameras with and without the WI-FI unit.
- Where will the archive be? What kind of storage will there be and how many days do you want to store the video.
Maybe there is a complete set of systems for your needs.
Secrets of installation.
Let’s talk about the installation of equipment. What do you need for a remote video surveillance system? Are there any secrets that are important to take into account when installing?
Proper installation will take into account compatibility, component usage requirements, and user needs. Proper installation will avoid annoying installation mistakes and get the most out of the equipment.
What do you need to remember?
- Installation work should be done carefully. This applies to fixing the equipment and working with connectors, duct tape, and the lens of the camera.
- The length of the cable, and its location should be optimal and take into account the weather conditions.
- The video camera should be installed in a place where there is no risk of its damage.
- The use of corrugations, cable protectors, and junction boxes for connectors is obligatory.
An important step in equipping a remote surveillance system is to choose a place to install the camera. After all, these are the “eyes” of video surveillance. The quality of the entire system depends on where the cameras look, whether there is nothing to interfere with them, whether there is access to care for them.
So, according to the recommendations of experts, the location of the camera should be:
- be able to be observed, above the entrance-exit, above every door and turns in the room;
- protected for equipment from the weather, sun glare, damage from icicles;
- convenient for maintenance.
How to avoid blind spots?
Blind spots are detrimental and reduce the effectiveness of the entire video surveillance system. Proper design, competent installation, and attention to the purposes and peculiarities of surveillance at a particular site will help to avoid blind spots.
What parameters are necessary to keep within to avoid blind spots?
- The optimal choice of camera location. It depends on the purposes and functions of video monitoring. You should also take into account weather conditions, growing trees and bushes, as well as entrances and turns in the room;
- Height of installation of the camera. The entire perimeter of the facility should be visible, and the camera itself should not be easy prey for vandals.
- There’s no light-striking for the lens. The sun and shiny objects can be the cause of the glare.
- You need a wide viewing angle. If the camera doesn’t have 360-degree rotation, it can be compensated by the view of the neighboring camera.
The simplest option
Is there any easier and faster way to set up video surveillance? Especially when you need a cheap or better for free temporary, periodic surveillance.
Yes, there is such an option. You’ll need any two smartphones and the Faceter mobile app. Only the user will have access to the video archive. The archive is encrypted and in cloud storage. The entire flow of information from the server is also not available to outsiders.
A broadcast from the surveillance camera is available at any time of the day or night and at any location of the user.
The analytical capabilities and functions of the Faceter cloud surveillance service are so broad and the interface is so simple that there is no need for “DIYs”.
Undoubtedly, do-it-yourself-wizards will be able to assemble a video surveillance system on their own. But will it be effective, will it cover all the needs of the user? It’s much easier and cheaper to contact the real experts of Faceter, who are not the first year of installing, developing features, and following the novelties of the market surveillance capabilities.