Analysts from the largest research agencies Mordor Intelligence and MarketsandMarkets agree on one thing: the global video surveillance market is growing in size and becoming smarter. They predict an annual market growth of 10.35% to 13.1% between 2020 and 2025. Russia is no exception, as home cloud video surveillance is developing rapidly. Read about the benefits of cloud remote video monitoring for your home and choosing a service provider.
What is home cloud video surveillance?
Today, the expression “home cloud video surveillance” is all over. Without even going into technical details, we can assume that it is about innovative technologies for remote video monitoring, which are focused on the cloud-based way of storing video recordings.
This method of video monitoring provides reliable protection of archived information from illegal actions of criminals. In addition, despite the technology, cloud systems are not the most expensive way of home video surveillance. To operate the system, you need the Internet and a minimum set of equipment: modern IP cameras or ordinary phones/tablets with built-in camera modules and a special application. Read how to turn an old smartphone into a CCTV camera here.
Using the functional Faceter cloud service, you can achieve remote surveillance over your house, family members, pets and service personnel. The system analyzes the recording in online mode, notifies about movement, recognizes faces, uses white- and blacklists.
Benefits of a cloud home monitoring system
The main reasons for installing a cloud-based home video monitoring system:
- Simplicity and ease of use. A homeowner can connect to the system from any geographic location using a smartphone/tablet/PC, and notifications come instantly to the device. The details are described in our article “Remote video surveillance systems: future is here.”
- Economic benefit in the minimum costs for the purchase of equipment and its installation, as well as in the lack of necessity to hire security guards.
- No extra waste of time. All information is available in the cloud, so you do not need to be physically present in the house/apartment/summer residence to check the video recordings after the alarm call.
- Safe storage of information. A cloud video surveillance system implies the impossibility of destroying archive records (intentionally or accidentally). Information is always available for viewing, downloading, as well as for transmission to authorities. Responsibility for storing video recordings lies with the provider and the creator of the software, and the system is updated without user intervention.
- Flexibility of settings. Want to change the monitored area or the storage period of your videos? Decrease or increase the number of surveillance cameras? Change video resolution? Faceter provides these and other flexible customization options.
With smooth operation of cloud video surveillance, residential property owners can:
- control the work of service personnel (for example, a nanny, a construction team);
- control the behavior of family members (for example, children, the elderly, sick relatives) and pets;
- observe what is happening inside the house and the adjacent territory;
- monitor the readings of meters and sensors.
For a cloud video monitoring system to work, you will need to make a choice between IP cameras and a phone/tablet. You just need to provide the equipment with Internet access and download the free Faceter application. After placing the equipment in a certain place for monitoring, it is necessary to select the camera mode.
Comparison of cloud and standard video surveillance systems
Comparative characteristics of traditional and cloud video monitoring systems are based on the following criteria.
- Possibilities of installation.
A standard system requires professional installation of equipment, and the cloud can be accessed without any additional help.
2. Flexibility of customization.
Conventional video monitoring requires manual configuration, in contrast to a cloud system, where cameras are automatically configured.
The price of a standard equipment set is formed from the costs of purchasing, installing, maintaining, configuring equipment, installing software and making backups. A cloud system requires minimal costs: IP cameras or a smartphone/tablet + the cost of storing the archive (tariff plan).
4. Software update process.
Cloud video surveillance is updated automatically, in contrast to a standard video monitoring system.
5. Level of protection.
The systems are fundamentally different: the cloud is highly protected, and the provider is responsible for storing data. A traditional video surveillance system implies the possibility of data leaks and personal responsibility of the system owner.
6. Remote access.
This feature is fundamental to a cloud-based video surveillance system. In a traditional system, remote access is provided only at the user’s request.
7. Ability to create a backup.
An archive for a standard system is an additional option that requires additional payment. Cloud storage provides this functionality in an overall package.
Based on the comparison, it is clear that the cloud form of data storage provides advanced functionality, in contrast to a classic video monitoring system over a house. In particular, in the cloud, face recognition is provided by default. Detailed information can be found on the website.
The second most important human need, after satisfying physical ones, is the need for security. Protecting your home and family members from intruders, improper behavior of service personnel and pets is paramount. Moreover, modern cloud video surveillance cameras with recording for your home allow you to save on equipment installation and maintenance costs, and provide secure storage of personal data. Experts point out that modern home video surveillance is characterized by ease of installation, wide functionality and economic benefits.