Video surveillance + ACS. 3 integration protocols
Complex solutions to ensure business security are relevant today. Video surveillance in combination with other components of security systems increases its influence, and helps other elements of the integration to expand their functionality. In this article, we will look into video surveillance + ACS in terms of advantages and disadvantages. I will also talk about 3 types of system integration protocols.
2-in-1: ACS and video monitoring
Currently, video surveillance and ACS (access control system) are mandatory elements of comprehensive business protection. In particular, we are talking about business centers, hotels, industrial production, large warehouses and secure facilities.
- The ACS monitoring system provides the operator with information about occurred events, and a detailed analysis of what is happening and making decisions on response is possible only if there is an image from a surveillance camera.
- An important point is the synchronization of the set of events and output of information in one window. The same principle works with archiving: first synchronization, then writing to a file that is ready for further processing (if necessary).
Main goals of integration:
- use of a generalized system to ensure quick response of the operator to the event;
- obtaining video analytical information in order to improve business processes and create a control system based on automation.
Benefits of interconnected systems
The main advantages of integrated (interconnected) systems are:
- significant reduction in costs for prompt response. Due to the video image, there is a quick assessment of the events that have occurred, financial savings are carried out by eliminating false alarms;
- significant increase in efficiency. Decision making, in the presence of sensors and a video surveillance system, occurs within a short time from the moment of the event;
- fast processing of data received in real time from one element of the system with the help of another;
- reducing the negative impact of the human factor in safety issues. Systems with photo verification of people and license plates are in great demand;
- increase in the commercial attractiveness of the facility, which is achieved by an overall reduction in maintenance and security costs.
Disadvantages of interconnected systems
With proper integration, there should be no technological disadvantages. Typically, difficulties arise in the form of complicating the program (code), due to which the probability of errors increases and reliability of the solution decreases.
3 kinds of integration protocols
In this article, we will look at three main types of protocols that are designed for modern IP equipment.
A detailed comparative description of network and analog video surveillance equipment can be found in “Cloud video surveillance: 10 benefits of using the technology“.
This protocol supports the overwhelming majority of IP video cameras. It was created with the aim of easy pairing of different equipment.
ONVIF is short for Open-Network-Video-Interface-Forum.
The standard is open.
What does ONVIF allow?
- configure the network interface;
- manage data flows and the system itself;
- track/process/analyze data;
- encrypt the media stream.
This protocol is intended solely for interacting with streaming data, namely for transmitting sound and video in real time.
RTSP is short for Real-Time-Streaming-Protocol.
Implementing additional functions built into the video camera using RTSP will not work. For example, if a network camera has video analytic options, they will remain unrealized.
This protocol can be identified as a set of tools intended for developers of integration systems.
SDK is short for Software-Development-Kit.
SDK is a set of programs, descriptions, libraries and other auxiliary tools for working with hardware platforms, operating and computer systems.
There are also additional methods to improve the effectiveness of preventive measures. We are talking about deep integration of three systems: ACS + security and fire alarm system + video surveillance. In this case, the control and monitoring system also acquires fire safety measures. Thus, comprehensive protection of the facility/business is provided.