Video Surveillance Data Storage in Artificial Intelligence Era
According to forecasts of the IT portal TAdviser, the Russian market of cloud video monitoring is growing annually by 20%. In addition to the fact that the global pandemic influenced the market growth rate, the popularity of cloud services is predetermined by the quick launch ability of a commercial project without significant costs. Due to the simplicity and availability, cloud services, including Faceter, quickly penetrated the business segment and into the homes of ordinary users.
Cloud services market growth drivers
The explosive growth of the cloud services market is associated with the following factors:
- The global pandemic and the objective necessity of organizing remote work. You can read about the impact of covid-19 on the video surveillance industry here.
- The growing concern of states in matters of public safety and increased funding.
- The general trend towards business digitalization.
- The ubiquity of IP video equipment and video analytical algorithms.
- Continuous technological advances in the field of big data, artificial intelligence using machine learning mechanisms.
- The objective need for a new format for storing large volumes of data.
The Role of Cloud Storage of Video Archives in the AI Era
Cloud storage can be compared to car sharing: instead of buying a car, you can rent it. Accordingly, instead of investing in traditional equipment for storing video archives and maintaining them, you can contact a specialized company – a cloud storage provider. By renting a part of the cloud platform, there are opportunities to avoid many security problems and save money.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Video Surveillance
Of course, like any system, cloud video surveillance has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
The cloud video surveillance model has several advantages:
- Substantial cost savings.
To organize your video archive storage system, you need:
- a special room;
- backup equipment;
- a cooling system;
- infrastructure equipment;
- software and periodic update procedure;
- service personnel, including administrators;
- regular maintenance work;
- ensuring the safety and confidentiality of data.
When using the cloud, operating expenses are significantly reduced, and there are no capital outlays at all.
You need to know that cloud storage is a platform that professional engineers maintain. The provider’s responsibilities include systematic work on security, hardware updates and software improvements.
Your video archive is stored on a server with a margin: if you rent a 1 GB cloud, the provider provides 2 GB of free space.
The servers themselves are usually distributed across different cities and/or states to ensure physical security and secure data transmission.
To ensure security, cloud data centres are protected sensitive data equipped with:
- video surveillance system;
- control and access system;
- backup power system;
- cooling and fire extinguishing system with sensors;
- setting up access rights for accounts;
- encryption when downloading, using and storing video archives.
At the same time, many system elements are duplicated.
The video archive can be managed via mobile devices, GUIs, console or API.
Payment is made according to the tariff.
- Scaling and cost management.
The increase in the required storage volume is due to a change in the tariff plan. Thus, payment is made only for those resources that are actually consumed.
- Additional benefits such as:
- remote, round-the-clock access;
- collective management capabilities;
- simplification of business processes;
- recovery options;
- regular system updates without user intervention;
- lack of responsibility (criminal and administrative) for data loss.
Storing a video archive in the cloud has disadvantages such as:
- The need for a monthly payment for storage services (by subscription). In case of non-payment and delays, the system is unavailable.
- A provider can increase tariffs unilaterally.
- A prerequisite is an Internet connection.
What provider to choose?
Today, in the era of the development of artificial intelligence, you can find a cloud for every taste from various manufacturers. When it comes to storing personal photos and documents, then any cloud will do.
And if we talk about storing a video archive obtained from video cameras, experts recommend cooperating with specialized cloud services with the following parameters:
- round-the-clock technical support;
- maximum storage depth;
- the ability to connect video analytics modules;
- support for video streams;
- high level of system resiliency;
- extensive integration opportunities;
- availability of a quick search in the archive;
- the ability to quickly view and share information on your resources;
- the ability to select an area in the frame and receive notifications about movement in it;
- receive notifications for sounds in real-time.
Most of the indicators correspond to the cloud service Faceter. Review on the platform is in the article “Analysis of the Faceter Smart Surveillance System: In Simple Words About Complex Matters.“
Video surveillance, the storage of which is not possible in the cloud, is already considered obsolete. Storing video in the era of AI on DVRs and flash drives is no longer relevant due to the minimal functionality of this equipment and the limited volumes of local drives. Use modern methods of data storage like cloud services.