VSaaS: video surveillance as a product. Examples and figures
Despite the rapid development of the global market for VSaaS (Video Surveillance as a Service), the mass consumer has a poor idea of what it is. At the same time, VSaaS sellers are at the height of price wars and offer the best deals.
What is VSaaS?
In fact, VSaaS is not just video surveillance. This is a complex of technological solutions capable to:
- record and play video archives;
- to govern;
- analyze data from a video stream.
The system requires an Internet connection and the cloud. At the same time, the user does not need to purchase expensive specialized equipment, software and elements of the video surveillance system infrastructure.
The main differences between VSaaS and traditional video surveillance
The fundamental difference between cloud-based and traditional video surveillance is as follows:
- a cloud provider takes care of 100% of the maintenance of the system, its infrastructure, updates hardware and software, maintains security and ensures reliable data protection.
In addition, VSaaS, in comparison with classic video surveillance, is a more flexible system capable of easy scaling and development, sharing information over its resources. Do not forget that your video archive management is carried out remotely from various devices (PC or mobile device).
An example of calculating costs for a traditional video monitoring system
Let’s say you are the owner of a pharmacy chain (15 units).
The minimum storage period for data from video cameras is 30 days.
You need to purchase:
- 15 dome cameras (average price is 16 thousand rubles/piece) = 240 thousand rubles;
- 15 registrars (average price is 7 thousand rubles/piece) = 105 thousand rubles;
- 15 hard disks (average price is 10 thousand rubles/piece) = 150 thousand rubles. And according to Backblaze research, about 50% of all sold hard drives require replacement in six years of use. Therefore, after 5 years, 8 disks will fail. You can safely lay down expenses of 16 thousand/year for 1.6 discs/year.
Also, the cost of annual maintenance of the system will be at least 5 thousand rubles/object. That is, at least 45 thousand rubles.
The total amount of expenses, excluding force majeure circumstances, is at least 556 thousand rubles.
At the same time, services (a cloud-based video surveillance system) are much cheaper. The average cost of the tariff (storage for 30 days) can be from 900 rubles/month. per camera or from 10.8 rubles/year. + cost of video cameras.
Three types of cloud services
In terms of video archive storage methods, the architecture of cloud video surveillance is divided into three types: public, private and hybrid VSaaS.
- the simplest and most popular method of interaction between the cloud and the user;
- runs for individuals, small and medium-sized businesses.
The consumer purchases and installs network cameras and connects the service. In this case, video footage from cameras is transmitted to the cloud provider’s servers, where processing and storage occur.
- a unique product created by the provider for local data storage with remote access capabilities, additional analytical options and advanced functionality;
- suitable for those organizations that do not allow open data storage but have resources for organizing a corporate storage system (government agencies, financial institutions).
Videos do not leave the perimeter of the organization.
- a model that has features of a private and public cloud. Users can use third-party cloud platforms for backup storage and their servers as the main ones (or vice versa);
- suitable for those organizations that have their infrastructure but appreciate the capabilities of the public cloud;
- ideal for those companies that are required to store large volumes of video archives. Essential information is stored on local servers, and the provider keeps the rest.
VSaaS market issues
Currently, the VSaaS IT market segment is waging a price war with a fallback game: all companies reduce the cost of services, including manufacturers, suppliers and installers. Argumentation on the topic “why you shouldn’t buy Chinese Noname equipment” is in the article “9 reasons why you shouldn’t buy video surveillance on AliExpress”.
When the price is at the forefront, quality fades into the background, creating a severe problem. The consumer receives an unreliable video surveillance system and services that are unable to solve his problems. You also need to consider that during operation, the cost of the system will increase (maintenance, modernization).
Choose only trusted cloud service providers, such as service and cloud, from the international company Faceter. The link to the website is https://faceter.cam/en.
Do you want to keep abreast of trends in the video surveillance market? Or are you looking for a solution for your business? Don’t overlook VSaaS. This system deservedly takes the top place in the IT market in 2021 for many of the above reasons.