5 tips to help you choose a camera with a motion sensor
The variety of video cameras on the Russian market can be considered an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time. On the one hand, many models and types of video cameras provide unlimited possibilities for security; on the other hand, the variety complicates the choice. This is especially true when you consider that an ordinary Russian consumer is just beginning to realize the need for hardware video surveillance in everyday life. The domestic video surveillance market is developing at the expense of the public sector and large corporations.
Let’s see what a video camera with a motion sensor is and why you need it.
The principle of operation of a video camera with a motion sensor
The main difference between a video camera with a motion sensor and a recording from other types of cameras with recording is in the principle of operation:
- recording starts at the moment a moving object hits the sensor’s field of view;
- if there is no movement – the camera is in standby mode (up to 240 hours);
- some camera models can be configured to exclude some activities.
Software detection method
In this case, the motion sensor + camera is a structure under a single body, where a separate circuit is reserved for the motion detector.
The sensor is in autonomous operation and “waits” for changes (movements) in its field of vision. In this case, the video camera practically does not consume electricity, since most of the nodes are in a dormant state.
If the detector detects movement, then it gives a signal to the video recording node and sends a notification about an alarm situation.
The resulting image analysis can be performed on the matrix or directly on the server that processes the images.
Hardware detection method
With the hardware method, the motion sensor can be either separate or built into network cameras. Therefore, a moving object identification can be based on the determination of body heat (infrared rays), radio waves, ultrasound and other signs.
If the sensor is a separate device, it becomes possible to purchase a high-quality sensor that will respond as accurately as possible and give a minimum of false alarms.
Principle of operation: when a moving object appears in the field of observation, the rays are interrupted. This is the signal to activate the camera.
Where is it appropriate to use?
Accordingly, such specific equipment is installed in places where there is no intensive flow of people. However, this does not mean that cameras with motion sensors are used only in private households, private plots, or apartments.
Such equipment is in demand for monitoring large objects (industrial zones, car parks), retail outlets, offices, catering facilities and the public sector.
The indisputable advantages of video cameras with motion sensors are:
- Energy resources saving, which is achieved by the principle of the device.
- Space-saving for video materials storage. Only moments when the sensor detects movement in the field of observation are recorded. When using IP equipment, cloud storage is possible.
- Species variety of models:
- various technical characteristics + additional options (speaker, microphone, IR, battery-powered operation);
- indoor and outdoor use;
- wide price range.
- High detection accuracy.
- The small size of the device allows it to be used in narrow, hard-to-reach places.
- Easy integration when using IP cameras.
- Difficult installation and configuration of equipment. With an illiterate setting, there is a high probability of false alarms (due to small animals entering the frame and rubbish carried by the wind). Professional assistance is required during installation.
- If alarms are frequently triggered, the resource of the equipment is quickly worn out.
- The recording will not reflect the possible remote damage to equipment.
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Sensor Camera
Buying a video camera with a motion sensor is as easy as shelling peas, but choosing a camera that will suit all your goals is quite a challenge.
I want to share some practical tips for choosing a video camera with a motion sensor:
- Stop rushing.
Analyze your goals and financial capabilities. Answer the questions:
- Why do I need a motion sensor?
- What is the daily load on the camera?
- Which is more important: a high-quality sensor or a high-resolution picture?
- Where will the equipment be installed (outdoors, indoors)?
- Do you need a vandal-proof housing, camera turnability?
- Are remote and mobile access critical?
- What is the budget for buying a camera?
- How much does the monthly system maintenance cost?
- Determine the technical characteristics of the device.
Study the websites of manufacturers, sellers, thematic forums, reviews. Check the equipment package.
- Decide on the storage method (recorder, cloud, built-in memory card).
Read the article “4 options for storing video recordings from surveillance cameras.”
Assess the risks, the degree of responsibility for data storage, the cost of the service.
- Select 2-3 suitable camera models.
Refuse to buy a camera on Chinese sites. Read the article “9 reasons why you shouldn’t buy video surveillance on AliExpress”.
Do not consider the noname brands sold in the domestic market— select equipment sold by authorized dealers. Make a comparative analysis based on real customer reviews.
- Resolve the issue with the installation, equipment setting up and software updates.
- Who will install the cameras?
- How much does the installation and set up cost?
- How is the software updated (automatically or with the participation of a specialist)?
Conclusion: this algorithm is universal, including purchasing a video camera with a motion sensor.
If we talk about using a video surveillance system for home and small business, then cameras equipped with a motion sensor can be the best solution. This equipment consumes little energy, can have extended functionality and fulfils its duties with dignity.