4 “cloud” myths exposure. Finding Sources of Skepticism
Cloud video surveillance has made a breakthrough in the past ten years. It literally took over the IT world. According to statistics from the International Data Commission, global cloud spending for 2020 is up 24%.
But why, then, are there still myths and doubts in society regarding the “cloud”? Let’s figure it out.
What is cloud storage for video archives?
Cloud video surveillance is the leading remote monitoring technology. Its advantage lies in a simple and efficient method of storing materials.
In this system, recordings from cameras fall into the cloud space (remote service). Only the owner of the security code can gain access at any time, anywhere, and online.
And for more details about the principles of operation, the pros and cons of the system, read our article: “Cloud storage for video surveillance.“
4 main myths about the cloud
Modern video surveillance is safe, easy to use, and economical, so why are some still questioning the technology?
Most of the myths and misconceptions were created by skeptics who do not understand IT. Here are the main ones.
When people hear the words “cloud storage” and “remote service,” many think that the cloud can be easily hacked and data stolen. But this is not the case.
Kaspersky Lab conducted an experiment with other IT specialists. The results showed that data leakage from the cloud in 90% of cases occurred due to the fault and carelessness of users, and the remaining 10% were problems in the provider’s work.
Modern cloud technology is secure and reliable. For you to understand, many government agencies of the world’s leading countries use it.
For more information about possible threats and the results of other Kaspersky studies, read the article: “Cloud storage and fear of being hacked. 6 possible threats to the system“.
Cloud CCTV camera is easier to set up than analog options because local systems require recorders, separate servers, hard drives, and other hardware. A cloud solution consists of smaller parts, mostly only cameras and a monitor, interacting over the Internet. This simplifies installation, maintenance, and future scalability.
For example, adding a new camera to the system is enough to connect it via Wi-Fi. All diagnostics are carried out remotely; dashboards will provide detailed reports on the state of the monitoring organism via the Internet.
And thanks to the round-the-clock operation of cameras through a single connection, all cyberattacks are prevented online.
Despite the large cloud storage, the technology works without transferring huge amounts of data to the server. Thanks to IP cameras, some of the information can be stored in the device, and send to the cloud on-demand.
There is also a “hybrid smart mode” that redirects videos to storage that carries essential information. For example, a video where a stranger appears in the frame or one commits an illegal act. And more modern solutions can even sort information on their own with low bandwidth.
Cloud video surveillance does not require the purchase of unnecessary equipment. Therefore, excluding the costs of registers, hard drives, software, and more, the cloud becomes more straightforward and cheaper.
Using a cloud storage system, you pay once for the purchase of cameras, or you can use an old phone and then pay a monthly subscription. But you do not need to call the technician every month for preventive maintenance or monitoring updates. The cloud does everything automatically and even notifies in the event of a device breakdown.
Video surveillance from Faceter is a smart cloud system suitable for both home and business. You can choose a free plan or connect all smart functions and use 100% of the surveillance power.
For more information about Faceter’s capabilities, follow the link. The average cost of the tariff is 3 USD per month.
How to install cloud video surveillance? Three easy steps
The installation and location of cameras will further affect the quality of video surveillance. If you want your system to last for years, there are three easy steps to follow:
- Determine the purpose of the observation: for business or home; to protect the property or control employees’ work, etc.
- Develop a plan for the placement of cameras, taking into account viewing angles and observation points.
- Install the system.
The cloud is suitable for any task and will cover any need. Read more in the article: “Cloud video surveillance: 10 benefits of using technology.”
Without understanding new IT technologies, all innovations will seem complicated and expensive. Therefore you need to understand the topic yourself.
Based on many studies, the cloud has shown reliability and quality of work and economic benefits for businesses and homes.