Cloud video recording. How does it work?
Almost all active Internet users have mastered cloud space for personal photo-video materials and documents storage. Without even going into technical details, we understand that this method is simple, convenient and economical. A similar system operates in the sphere of surveillance. Let’s talk about what cloud recording is and what benefits it brings in a video monitoring system. Read on.
What is a cloud video recording?
We use cloud recording method when the video recorder by the surveillance camera is sent to the Internet space (cloud or cloud server) for storage and playback. At the same time, the user does not need to purchase special equipment for data storage (large hard disk, surveillance camera recorder, cameras with flash drives).
Who needs cloud recording?
Cloud video surveillance is suitable for both business and home monitoring.
You can read about how to quickly install a cloud video surveillance system for business in our article “Cloud video surveillance for your business: install in 3 steps.“
What experts need cloud video recording?
Please note that as part of business processes, cloud recording from CCTV cameras can bring clear benefits to:
- For directors of marketing (CMO) and executive directors of commercial enterprises (CEO).
The goal is to obtain a large amount of information about employees’ behaviour and visitors / buyers’ behavioural characteristics.
- For heads of departments of information security (IS) and IT.
The goal is to quickly obtain information from the video archive, for example, a particular passage. Also, to receive notifications on a mobile device about events occurring at the facility.
- For the technical director, chief engineer (CTO) and specialists in the sphere of enterprise information (CIO).
The goal is to increase storage space in a few simple steps without additional financial investments and server settings.
The modern development of technology in video surveillance provides users with several ways to interact with the cloud.
IP video camera with cloud recording function
Our editors always recommend using up-to-date equipment in the video monitoring system, namely IP or network cameras, as well as mobile devices.
What needs to be done before starting the camcorder + cloud operation?
- purchase a camera that supports this interaction format. We do not recommend buying cameras on Aliexpress. Argumentation in the article “9 reasons why you shouldn’t buy video surveillance on AliExpress“;
- purchase a router for signal routing;
- buy a static IP address from your ISP. Ignoring this condition leads to the need for daily changes of settings (to access the video equipment);
- specify the port for connection. It is recommended to use the standard port 81 for remote access;
- set up port forwarding on the router and save the settings. Thus, the connection to a specific camera will be carried out.
This method is needed to duplicate information: one copy is saved to a local disk in the recorder itself, the second copy is sent to the cloud. However, the transmission from the recorder to the cloud storage may decrease the video stream’s quality.
Cell phones + cloud
In November 2019, a unique opportunity appeared for mass users: to use two mobile devices + the free Faceter mobile application for full-fledged video surveillance.
We also talked in our blog about the TOP 5 best services for video surveillance with recording.
How much does the service cost?
Today, you can become a cloud video surveillance system owner at no cost or minimal prices within $2.99-$4.99 a month.
The price depends on the recording quality (SD or HD) and the storage time.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Recording
Cloud storage has at least nine advantages:
- Savings on the purchase of servers and other storage equipment.
- Lack of administrative and criminal liability for the storage of the video archive.
- Almost unlimited amount of data (limited only by the provider’s tariff).
- Simplicity and ease of use.
- Mobile, remote access from any location in the world.
- Mutual or restricted access.
- Ability to launch a video stream to the site.
- Quick notifications about events.
- Automatic system update.
Disadvantages of a cloud system:
- The constant need for an Internet connection.
- Potential loss of image quality due to low internet quality.
- Regular rate payment for the provision of cloud services.
Cloud video recording is the easiest and most convenient way to store data from camcorders. This industry is available for mass use in everyday life and business. Also, cloud video surveillance can be easily integrated with security systems and intelligent video analytics.