Real-time cameras. Equipment selection
Real-time video surveillance has become an integral part of every person’s daily life. At the very least, we captured by video cameras in shops, on roads and train stations, in public places and government agencies. So why not use technology to benefit your home or business? Let’s take a look at the question of how to choose equipment for real-time surveillance.
Who is this for?
- Real-time cameras can be used to monitor the situation in the following cases continuously:
- to monitor service personnel (temporary or permanent). For example, for a nanny, builders in a private house or apartment;
- to monitor the behaviour of pets;
- to monitor children, adolescents, elderly relatives;
- to observe remote objects (summer cottage, garage, car);
- for control at the apartment building entrance hall;
- to ensure the safety and security in shops, pawnshops, banks, restaurants, warehouses;
- to monitor construction sites work;
- in other life and business situations.
The most important condition for online viewing is the bit rate of the image. In this case, the speed will depend on several factors, such as:
- technical characteristics of the video surveillance device (video camera);
- technical capabilities of information processing equipment (for example, a recorder);
- the bandwidth of the communication channel (wired, wireless Internet).
Also, the quality of the image is affected by installation literacy. Six common installation errors destroy the entire surveillance system. They are described in the article “How to kill a video surveillance system during installation? 6 common mistakes“.
What equipment to choose?
Selection criteria can be:
- The purpose of video surveillance.
- Place of use (room, street).
- The principle of coding and camera control.
- The material from which the cameras are made.
- Type of construction (rotating, panoramic, mobile, stationary).
- The functionality of the equipment.
- Method of data storage (cloud, recorder).
- Reviews, ratings of specialists and users.
If small details are not necessary to you, then an analog system may be suitable for surveillance. Since the signal is repeatedly transformed during the broadcast, the image is not subject to detail and zoom. Otherwise, the picture will be blurry.
In this case, the signal between the camera and the receiving device can be transmitted via cable or wirelessly.
An analogue system’s advantages are the simultaneous reception and transmission of a signal from a large number of devices, ease of use, and low cost of the solution.
Digital (network) systems
Online cameras, a real-time mode in excellent quality, remote and shared access, synchronization of audio and video signals, the flexibility of settings, scalability of the system, and receiving quick notifications on mobile devices are not the whole list of advantages of digital video surveillance.
Yes, network access systems are more expensive than their predecessors, analog surveillance structures. Are they worth the money? You decide.
Read the article “Network Video Surveillance Cameras: 7 Advantages and 4 Disadvantages“.
Cloud services are considered to be the last word of video surveillance technological progress. Today in Russia, only 5% of all video cameras have cloud platforms.
What is stopping consumers?
- massive misconceptions and myths. Although, according to research by IBM, 65% of Russians use cloud applications. Of these, 43% keep their documents and medical records in the clouds, and 78% keep personal photos;
- gaps in knowledge, including legal. What storage system will you choose when you find out that you are exempt from criminal and administrative responsibility for storing and losing video archives? Cloud providers are solely responsible for the safety of data, not the consumer;
- Ongoing criticism of legacy analog advocates and vendors. Denial of progress is a mechanical way to protect your beliefs and business;
- lack of a coherent system for choosing a cloud provider. Choose the best service from the TOP-7.
Modern technologies simplify the implementation of tasks to ensure facilities’ safety and solve a lot of marketing problems. This fact cannot be denied. Also, the cloud-based data transfer and storage format provides a high level of protection and eliminates the need to purchase expensive hardware.
We are accustomed to the fact that real-time mode and constant communication with the outside world are everyday routines. We live in a world of the Internet of Things and continuous online communication. So why not choose a modern and simple way of video surveillance for home and business?