Variety of video analytics — main trend of 2021
In the near future, experts expect a significant growth in the global video analytics market. In the period from 2021 to 2025, all analytical systems will be massively implemented in the retail sector (by more than 50% compared to 2020), in the transport sector (+ 40%), in healthcare (by 30% more than now). In addition, the use of video analytics systems in industrial production will increase by 20%.
In this article, you will learn not only about the prospects for intelligent video surveillance, but also about the diversity of video analytics. Read on.
Promising tasks of video analytics
Video surveillance has already turned from a simple security guard into an innovative solution that includes the functions of facility protection and solving business problems.
Therefore, the promising tasks of video analytics are:
- deep integration with other software;
- variety of additional features based on neural networks and machine learning;
- receiving detailed reports in self-service mode (without operator participation). Robotization and automation of the data management process, including streaming analytics.
Consumers are showing interest in video analytics services that help lower business costs and achieve competitive advantage. Therefore, it is in such services that analytics manufacturers will invest.
Forecasts of changes
According to research agency Gartner, the video surveillance and video analytics market will change as follows:
- in 2021, there will be a massive introduction of video analytics in trade, medicine, transport sector and manufacturing enterprises;
- in 2022, artificial intelligence technologies will be widely used, but only 10% of analysts will be able to use its full potential. This suggests that technology will run far ahead, but there will be a shortage of analysts in the labor market;
- by 2023, 90% of the TOP-500 largest world companies will significantly expand their programs for working with video data;
- by 2025, about 80% of goods containing electronic components will have built-in analytics (possibly video analytics).
Variety of analytics in video surveillance
At the moment, the bets are on the variety of video analytics. Already today, video surveillance from Faceter provides 99.8% accuracy in face recognition, allows you to read the emotions of customers, and also has hearing. However, technology promises to develop rapidly, and in the coming years we will see their triumphant effectiveness.
It is difficult to predict which algorithms and technologies will appear in face video analytics. Most of the developments are not advertised.
However, it is known that face recognition will be detailed, the speed of the identification process will increase to fractions of a second, and algorithms will be implemented into various databases.
EXAMPLES: We are talking about contactless access to airports, train stations, subways, as well as a system for identifying athletes and personnel during major sporting events. It is believed that facial recognition of repeat customers in retail will help establish a high level of loyalty.
Experts predict that by 2025 there will not be a single children’s educational institution in the United States that will not have video surveillance with the option of recognizing faces and maintaining lists. A similar system is already in operation in churches in the United States.
Around the world, special attention is paid to the integration of video analytics into law enforcement databases. And we are talking not only about identifying citizens, but also about outbursts of negative emotions (anger, aggression). This is necessary for preventive measures to maintain law and order, developers say. Representatives of big business are also interested in the emotions of the population as consumers.
Already today, intelligent video camera analytics is capable of:
- distinguishing license plates and counting the number of vehicles, their load. Details here;
- filming the movement of objects outside the control lines and notify the operator about emergency situations. Also, video surveillance records the time of an object spent in the area of surveillance;
- distinguishing between the sizes and dimensions of objects;
- monitoring empty shelves in stores. This is what our article “Video surveillance in stores: control of empty shelves” is about.
The future belongs to contactless monitoring of the situation and the introduction of network cameras to support the Internet of Things. Market growth will be provided by government initiatives to improve public safety (including the epidemiological situation with COVID-19). The growth drivers will be the initiatives of business players.
In the near future, analytics news will focus on expanding additional features for face and object recognition. At the same time, we can talk about ubiquitous video surveillance, both from the state and from the business side. In one case or another, we are talking about collecting data to ensure security and/or to solve marketing problems.